Requirements for EKS Anywhere on VMware vSphere
To run EKS Anywhere, you will need:
A vSphere 7+ environment running vCenter
Capacity to deploy 6-10 VMs
DHCP service running in vSphere environment in the primary VM network for your workload cluster
One network in vSphere to use for the cluster. This network must have inbound access into vCenter
A OVA imported into vSphere and converted into template for the workload VMs
User credentials to create VMs and attach networks, etc
One IP address routable from cluster but excluded from DHCP offering
This IP address is to be used as the Control Plane Endpoint IP or kube-vip VIP address
Below are some suggestions to ensure that this IP address is never handed out by your DHCP server.
You may need to contact your network engineer.
- Pick an IP address reachable from cluster subnet which is excluded from DHCP range OR
- Alter DHCP ranges to leave out an IP address(s) at the top and/or the bottom of the range OR
- Create an IP reservation for this IP on your DHCP server. This is usually accomplished by adding a dummy mapping of this IP address to a non-existent mac address.
Each VM will require:
- 2 vCPUs
- 8GB RAM
- 25GB Disk
The administrative machine and the target workload environment will need network access to:
- anywhere-assets.eks.amazonaws.com (to download the EKS Anywhere binaries, manifests and OVAs)
- distro.eks.amazonaws.com (to download EKS Distro binaries and manifests)
- d2glxqk2uabbnd.cloudfront.net (for EKS Anywhere and EKS Distro ECR container images)
- api.github.com (only if GitOps is enabled)